Wednesday, April 27, 2011

An Excursion to Moulton Falls

On Monday, I came home with one of those sudden needs to be outside. Since there is no baby yet, we decided to take a small trip. We headed north, past Battle Ground, to a place I went often while I was in high school to swim and cliff jump. It is a park at the place where Big Tree Creek meets the North Fork of the Lewis River. I like it because there are some nice little water falls and the river and forest is beautiful.

Since it is still early spring, the water level is quite high. This is a picture of what is actually a waterfall that is about 10 ft. tall in the summer. There is so much water right now that it is currently a raging rapid.

IMG_2451IMG_2446

We then walked over to see the nice bridge that crosses the river. This is the area I used to swim and jump at. I even had friends that liked to jump off the bridge.

IMG_2520IMG_2516

Here is the larger of the waterfalls in the park. My friends and I also swam a lot here. We liked to climb the falls and jump off the top. This time there was a big tree lodged in the falls.

IMG_2595IMG_2614

I liked the look of the water:

IMG_2601

Here is me climbing on the other side of the falls:

IMG_2339IMG_2342

Ruth’s mom really enjoyed the fun things we found along the trails. Here are some photos of Ruth and Rosanne examining some moss and lichens.

IMG_2476IMG_2318

We also found mushrooms, moss, and lots of early spring flowers like Avalanche lilies and Skunk Weed (amongst others):

IMG_2551IMG_2530IMG_2566IMG_2559

We had a very nice time and it only hailed for a minute or two. Most of the time it was dry and the sun even poked its head out. We enjoyed walking through the pleasant atmosphere that the forest provides.

IMG_2478IMG_2343

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Those photos are gorgeous [pronounced like my mom, GO-JUS!]

I always love looking at plants with Ruth's mom. She knows so much about them and gets so excited. It's fun to be around people that are enthusiastic about such neat things!

I'm glad to see you got to go do something fun while you wait.

Here's to hopin' things happen sooner than later. Otherwise he might be a May baby, like me! Haha.

Rosanne said...

O the marvelous lichen! What a rich treasury of tiny fragile yet sturdy organisms.
Nice that in one picture I was not the shortest one, even if it took a large cement stair to gain a bit of height.
May babies are good!