October 4 marked the 96th anniversary of Dinosaur becoming a National Monument. This was also the day that the park held the grand opening of it’s new Dinosaur Quarry building. Five years ago they had to close the old one due to the poor structural integrity of the quarry (to the point that windows were falling out, walls exploded, and one side of the building was 15 ft. higher than the other). We were happy that we were able to go to the opening of the remade Quarry and new visitor center.
Inside the Quarry is the famous Wall of Bones. It is a hillside that contains over 1500 dinosaur bones that were left where they lie. There are about 15 species of dinosaur, including the stegosaurus (pictured below on the far right). There are also baby dinosaurs. It is very cool to see.
There was a very nice ceremony that included a blessing from a Uintah Indian Chieftain. The keynote speaker was Governor Gary Herbert of Utah, who also cut the ribbon.
We got to meet him and he was impressed (as was everyone else) by Magnus’s dinosaur awesome-ness.
After the ceremony we headed out into the park again.
We stopped by some very nice petroglyphs that are over 1000 years old. You try and figure out what they are pictures of (we liked the jazz hands):
We had a good time wandering around trying to find as many as we could. They were all over the cliff face.
We thought this view of Split Mountain and the Green River was cool. Dinosaur really has some neat rock formations.
We did one more long drive down a dirt road to see the well-known McKee Spring Petroglyphs. They were very cool. The first spot had some sort of buffalo on it.