Thursday, January 13, 2011

Felting Good!

I had a new knitting experience. Mom got me some yarn, needles, and a pattern (Thanks, Mom!) and I knitted a purse. Due to some counting problems (I can count. I promise.) the increases did not match up to where the straps ended up. So when I finished knitting this is what I ended up with…

IMG_0704         IMG_0705

The first picture has the bag aligned to the increases (where the bottom of the bag says is front). The second picture lines up the straps and tells the increases to lay off!

IMG_0707

Because we don’t have a washing machine, I decided to try felting “by hand.” It took 40 minutes of using the potato masher in hothot water (and the purse smelled like a wet dog) but it turned out very nicely. Once the yarn tightens up, you can push it around and make it do what you want, so the discrepancies that existed in the pre-felted project were not a problem any more.

IMG_4571

I’m now in the market for a pretty button or pin to decorate the flap. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

2 comments:

Rosanne said...

Wow, that turned out very well! Most impressive.
40 minutes of potato mashing in hot water does not sound fun. You are persistent, and it paid off!

Ganado Granny said...

I learned something reading this. I didn't know that was how they made felt. Never tried it.