Thursday, December 11, 2008

The good, the bad and the ugly

Here is yet another ceramics post... Don't worry, there will only be one more after this.

Dana calls this the clown pot

pink vase

Raku vase try one: This is a Japanese style of firing where you get the pot and glaze glowing hot, and then you throw it in a trash can full of newspaper. The end result is supposed to be smooth and shiny. For some reason, my colored glazes always rippled up like lizard skin. And the edges of the glaze are sharp. :-P

This pot was to try out different glazes. The pink base color is the unglazed clay.

This is my artichoke vessel. It cracked during its first firing. But I really like the way the glaze turned out.

For the handbuilding portion of the class I had to make three "cereal blows" a la the pinch pot. So here are my glorified pinch pots. Two of them I can actually eat out of.

This is my attempt at a soup mug. I was going to make a pair, but I couldn't manage to get two that looked the same. Oh well.

"Soup Toureen"Also food safe. See how the glaze got all drippy because I double dipped the rim?

"Fruit Bowl" I like how it kind of looks like clouds... Right now it had pears in it. Also food safe.

This one is the bowl that my professor said I could sell in a boutique for 20$. woohoo! I like it because its shiny.

This has been named the ugly pot. I have dreams of throwing it down a mountain. Again, it was for seeing how these glazes turned out. It has "I love you" in russian written on it. Spelled wrong. Go me.

"Bell Jar" tehe... Dana requested a bowl glazed entirely with the metalic glaze on the rim of the clown pot.

"Flower Pot" This was where I layered a whole bunch of glazes on top of each other and wiped them back in order to find the desired shade...It ended up kind of interesting. and the green glaze on the bottom is completly wrong, but you can't see it so it works.

"Birch Pot" I was pretty proud of how this one turned out...

And don't worry, I have one more pottery post to do.

5 comments:

Jodi Reeve said...

Is this for a class or something or are you just trying to teach yourself?

Cheryl said...

Those are really nifty! I like the swirlies in teh bottom of the "boutique" pot. And the birch pot is really really cool! Looks like you had quite the busy semester of pot making :0,

Jensen: Dana and Ruth said...

This was for a ceramics class I took, just for fun. I ended up with a lot more pots than I expected.

emily said...

Those are cool Ruth! I like the soup mug and the one known as the ugly pot. Does the ugly pot work the same as the ugly stick? If you don't like it maybe you can throw it into the ocean and yell, "back from whence you came!" But I think its cool.

Ivy & Mae said...

I love the soup mug! If you ever make a matchin' pair, I'd buy some from ya!