Friday, December 20, 2013

Under a Veil of Ice

IMG_3813IMG_3704IMG_3698

For at least a week we had very cold temperatures everyday where it was in the thirties or lower (more often lower). I really like seeing waterfalls with the ice build up, so I headed to the Gorge. Ruth decided to stay home where it would be warmer.

My first stop was Latourell Falls, one we like to frequent. I looked very nice. I took the trail to Upper Latourell Falls and saw some great ice formations.

IMG_3726

I like to see how the constant spray from the falls layers the ice in interesting ways. Especially on the plants. Notice the moss on a tree, or the little stick with the ice sail.

IMG_3735IMG_3732

And the ice behind the waterfall made some cool shapes.

IMG_3747IMG_3751

Next I took the short hike to Bridal Veil Falls. This is one I have only seen when it is all green

IMG_3837

IMG_3867IMG_3845

Horsetail Falls had a really neat looking rock wall with ice.

IMG_3885IMG_3882

My last stop was Elowah Falls, where we went a few weeks ago. The ice formations were the best here. Elowah Falls is set farther back in its canyon and is better protected from the wind. By the time I had gotten here the temperature had gotten to 37°F, so a lot of the more delicate ice structures were melting and falling off things. While I was looking at the waterfall, a very large piece of ice broke off from the top and fell the 200 ft. to the bottom. There was a loud boom when it hit, then a shock wave shook all the tree causing more ice to fall. It was awesome.

IMG_3905IMG_3907IMG_3916IMG_3921

The bridge was quite a sight. It had been transformed in to a sheet of ice.

IMG_3930IMG_3969

And the ice dome the water created was pretty big.

IMG_3942IMG_3946

IMG_3938IMG_3963

Some cool plants that look like a bit alien:

IMG_3994

No comments: