Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Back Roads New England: My Tri-State Adventure

IMG_9065

Saturday, I, Dana, went out to do some exploring. I headed to the SW corner of Massachusetts to see Bash Bish Falls, the tallest falls in the state. It was early in the morning, so the crowds hadn’t shown up yet. I liked this sign near the falls, because you could park in either state to get to it.

Bash Bish is really pretty and about 80 ft. tall, though I think that giant boulder that splits it up makes it look much smaller.

IMG_9071IMG_9082IMG_9154IMG_9127

This is a view of the Bash Bish Canyon with New York in the distance.

IMG_9181

My next hike winded back and forth across the Connecticut and Massachusetts border, going up a large hill in each state.

IMG_9212IMG_9240

The trail passed the highest elevation in CT (2379 ft.) on the south slope of Mt. Frissell , which summits in MA. This makes it the only state high point that is not the summit of a hill or mountain.

 IMG_9252IMG_9251

The view on top of Connecticut: IMG_9258 

The trail soon comes to the point where NY, MA, and CT all meet.

IMG_9264IMG_9280

This hike also let me see lots of emerging autumn colors.

IMG_9272IMG_9311

After the hike, I drove into western CT to see Naromiyocknowhusunkatankshunk Brook. I found a picture of the name of this brook a few years ago on Panoramio, and have wanted to see it for myself. I spent enough time there to step in its waters and collect some bugs.

IMG_9334IMG_9339

I ended my day in Kent Falls SP in CT. It features a series of smaller waterfalls called Kent Falls that drop 250 ft. Here are some of the falls I liked best, including the biggest drop.

IMG_9351IMG_9365

IMG_9397IMG_9413

Again, the autumn colors made for some pretty photos.

IMG_9427IMG_9442

I really had a good time while in western New England. As a bonus, in one of the towns I passed through they were having and antique car show, so all day I was seeing some very old cars driving the small back roads of MA, CT, and NY. It was pretty awesome.

No comments: