Monday, September 19, 2011

Bugs. Berries. Battlestar Gallactica.

IMG_2969IMG_2993

A week or so ago I went on a fun and exciting excursion. It had been a while since I had gone out in the woods to look for stuff, so Ruth was nice enough to let me go. So, I went out to an area I have come to like a lot near Trout Lake, WA.

The first stop I made was by Little Goose Creek Canyon, to see the waterfalls and the awesome cliff face with basalt columns. That’s Mt. Adams in the distance.

IMG_2985

The larger of the falls was hard to see from the side of the canyon I was on, but I was able to get down to the upper falls. The river was very pretty and flowed over a solid sheet of old lava.

IMG_2995IMG_2999

It was a very hot day (94°F) so being by the falls was very refreshing. I also saw this nice little red beetle on a fern.

IMG_3013IMG_3035

I then went huckleberry hunting and found quite a few. If you have never had them, they are something worth trying. Many of the bushes were already turning red.

IMG_3045IMG_3042

While picking berries I came across a small lava cave in a a clearing that was not on the map. It had a small marker naming it Cave 5. It was nice and cool inside, and I found some cave crickets. Here is Mt. Adams again, and the other peak to the left is Sleeping Beauty.

IMG_3046IMG_3049

Next, I headed over to the Ice Caves. There are some very special insects in there that I like to find, and I like caves. The bugs are interesting because they have to live in cold temperatures, so we now have some pets that live in the fridge. There was still a good amount of ice and snow in the cave since it was only 32°F.

IMG_3073IMG_3093

IMG_3107

I also did a short hike near the Natural Lava Bridges. It was a very pretty day.

IMG_3131

I just wish I could have picked more huckleberries…

1 comment:

Rosanne said...

Good that you got to go out and commune, see, enjoy and think.
Lovely!