Thursday, October 1, 2009

Florida

My last collecting trip I went on while still at BYU was a 6 day trip to Southern Florida. I went with one other person and we collected in Miami and near Naples, around the Everglades. This was my first time to Florida and I had a lot of fun. As a side note, my brother Steen and his family have moved to Florida and I hope they are doing well.

We stayed in Miami the first two nights. This was our view looking toward Miami Beach:

IMG_5356

We collected in a state park in North Miami.

IMG_5345

But we soon were out in a place called Port of the Islands near Naples.

IMG_5391

Collecting in Florida was difficult, considering most of it is covered in water and you have to listen for large animals…

IMG_5647IMG_5714

But the mangroves were beautiful.

IMG_5979

It was also nice that we had some time to drive into the Everglades and see so many different habitats:

IMG_6309

This was the road summit:

IMG_6332IMG_6330

Florida yielded many more fascinating creatures:

Like this striped walking stick,

IMG_6197

or this funky caterpillar.

IMG_6053

Giant Lubber Grasshoppers were in great abundance.

IMG_5542

And I caught my first mole cricket and found a “happy” spider:

IMG_5461 IMG_5289

This a rat snake, or black racer that we caught.

DSC08984

Also, we were excited to find an iguana, a species that has taken up residence after people let their pets go.

IMG_5279

a beautiful skink

IMG_5589

And of course the alligators. I was very excited to see them.

IMG_5931 DSC09509IMG_6099

Florida also had lots of birds. The vultures liked the restaurant we ate at several times. We liked it too, they served seafood, gator, and bullfrog.

IMG_5640

Heed the signs:

IMG_6293 IMG_6068

One of the best things we saw were the manatees that came up to the docks right outside our hotel.

IMG_5804

IMG_5818

IMG_5694

Florida was a great adventure and great adventures make insect collecting lots of fun. I look forward to going back and visiting Steen and his family.

No comments: