Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Something Delicious

So, we have a friend who would always make fun of the way people would say, "Time to make banana bread!" when the bananas turned gross and brown. "Because," he would explain, "no one actually makes banana bread, they just throw the gross bananas in the trash." To prove him wrong, the next time I made banana bread with the old bananas, I gave him some. But now we have a new reigning champion for delicious things to make with old bananas...


Banana chocolate chip cookies! Think, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, but with oatmeal and flavored like bananas, not spice cake. AND, the recipe only needs two bananas, instead of the six most bread recipes call for.




Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup shortening (I use margarine)
1 cup sugar
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 cups flour (I needed an extra 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (if you're into that)
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 medium)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat until well blended. (That's what it says) Drop teaspoonfuls of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes. (My oven runs hot, so I cooked them at 350 for 12 minutes and they turned out nice and soft. Mmmmmmmm.)

2 comments:

Jodi Reeve said...

I like to freeze them with a stick in them and when frozen dip in chocolate. They made it in Honduras where I served an LDS mission. Yummy. But, I do make banana bread more often than not.

emily said...

Mmmm, those sound good! I will have to try them.